Hello Hurricane
you can't
silence my love
Speak up or die
Tammie says Smile!


Hello there, Stranger!
Welcome to my humble little blog.

The name's Tammie, but friends call me Tam (not 'thumb').

Who am I, you ask?
I'm not that smart top-scorer girl in your class.
I'm not that pretty lass you always see on the streets either.
I am passionate, stubborn and emotional.
My absolute most favorite thing to do is hanging out with people I care & love.
My passion burns for Jesus & photography.
I wish to travel more and see more.

This blog was created so I get to jot down my feelings.
Happenings in life.
That is, if I'm not too lazy to update ;)


Blogger Buddies :3

Shanlyn Yin Nancy Cynthia ChinTeng Jocelyn Choulyew KarNee Amanda XinYong JiaWen Gacky MingSheng Alex WeiShze Netty Chii Ace Dominic Nicholas
Tuesday, February 2, 2010 @ 2:08 PM
Not so identical
Every time we say the word 'twin' we think of 2 people who share the same looks and height.
But what if, we think a little bit further?
btw,this post is dedicated to Karnee and her tiwn xD

What if, say, a pair of twins is of different race?
Yeah, like one twin is a white and the other is a black?

I'm not stupid. I took biology in form6. I know how genetics work.

It's possible to have a pair of black and white twins!

Meet:
Remee(left) and Kian Horder(right)

with mummy, Kylie and daddy, Remi Horder.
Both Kylie and Remi are of mixed race, with black fathers and white mothers.

Layton (right) and Kaydon Richardson (left),

Boys with mom, Kerry Richardson.
Kerry is of mixed race, with Nigerian and English heritage, while the father is white.


Hayleigh(with mum) and Lauren Durrant (with dad)
Now this family is amazing, not only do they have 1 pair of different color skinned twins, they have another pair.

See the babies the girls are holding?
That's their newborn sisters, who are also like them, black and white.
Leah (carried by Hayleigh, in pink) and Miya Durrant (carried by Lauren, in white)
Same girls as above.

one big colorful family :)

But of course there's a formula to creating such unique pair of twins.
1. If you didn't notice, all the parents of these twins are 1 black and 1 white. Or like Remee and Kian Horder both their parents are mix parentage of black and white heritage.

2. The egg and sperm's DNA must be in 1 color only (eg: black or white)
If a woman is of mixed race, her eggs will usually contain a mixture of genes coding for both black and white skin.
Similarly, a man of mixed race will have a variety of different genes in his sperm. When these eggs and sperm come together, they will create a baby of mixed race. But, very occasionally, the egg or sperm might contain genes coding for one skin colour. If both the egg and sperm contain all white genes, the baby will be white. And if both contain just the versions necessary for black skin, the baby will be black.

Yeah, this explanation is very bio-ish. But if you are really curious of how black and white twins are created, that's the explanation.

See, the Asian version would be Indian and Chinese, I suppose. But no Asian versions yet.


I really find this news amazing. I mean, who'd thought twins could share different skin color yet be called twins? Oxymoron isn't it? But with these few cases around the world, proves it's possible ;)

back to top?
12 comments
monthly archive

April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 December 2010 January 2011 September 2011 October 2011 November 2011 January 2012
recent entries

Cute and shy.awww... The best Ice-cream ever... Glitch! help! :( It shines at night ALUBA!! See-through public toilet! Pahang-ian. I'm still alive.. Moving My thing
LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS